Best Mountain Bike under 400
Introduction for Best Mountain Bike under 400
This article gives a detailed review of the best mountain bike under 400. It looks at the top 10 bikes that were hand-picked based on various parameters, including the performance, several speeds, gender utility, appearance, control and ease to set up, and many more. All these parameters were gauged against each other to decide on including that particular bike on our list of best mountain bike under 400$. All the bikes are durable under rough mountain terrain and are made for adventure and sports by the manufacturers. From various available sizes and options for user customization to bikes made for women and men, our list of the best mountain bike under 400 covers all the aspects and targets all the customer groups in the current market.
Our products include the bikes that come with fixed wheel diameters and fixed frames to the products whose dimensions can be customized to the user height and usage requirement. The Huffy hardtail mountain bikes mentioned in the list cover the utility and appearance, and stylish look aspects of the bikes. Even though similar specifications and performance, the subtle changes in the design, color, and braking system make them worthy of presenting on this list.
The most customizable bike Sirdar is one of a kind. It offers customizations in wheels, frame length, and bike speeds enabling users and customers to reap the best from the purchase giving the product a very high value for money. The most portable and lightweight bike is also the Sirdar making it a top contender of the best of the ten bikes mentioned below. Our list doesn’t list any foldable bikes because of the price restriction.
The braking systems of the old-style linear and the modern disc braking are mentioned on our list. One product that has mixed braking is also mentioned on the list. Apart from braking, the speeds are also taken into consideration while selecting our list. The list contains the bikes over the range of speeds from 18 to 27, with most of the bikes having 21 speeds which suit the mountain terrain best. The frame lengths vary from 16’’, which is suitable for short people, to 24’’, which is made for tall people above the height of 5’11’’.
The Hiland bike designed for women has a downward bend in the already downward inclined frame towards the bike seat, allowing women with their wide range of dressing styles to get on and ride the bike easily. It is one of the women-oriented bikes on the list, with a few others that are unisexual. Others are men-oriented with various features.
Our list of best mountain bikes under 400$ is made with care and caution not to exclude any bike that met the requirements of becoming the best. Go through the below-mentioned products to get a better idea of how the products look, their specifications, benefits, and drawbacks of the products, including the bottom line.
Best Mountain Bike under 400[amazon table=”3699″]
The Huffy hardtail mountain bike is a product of constant efforts and research into the mountain terrain. It is designed for teens who are adventurous and outgoing. It has a great handle design, and it is ideal for people over the height range of 58-70 inches.
- The bike has 21 speeds with various gear combinations and ratios.
- The bike has a front suspension that can tank jerks during the downhill.
- The 24×1.95’’ tires provide excellent traction during all weather.
- It has a 17’’ frame made of alloyed metal to reduce weight.
- The bike is easy to assemble and comes with all the tools required to assemble it.
- It has strong gears and brakes that don’t need any further probing before going off on the run.
- Its old-style linear-pull brakes give the rider a linear stoppage compared to the modern disc brakes.
- 21 speeds are considered essential and necessary for good maneuverability in mountain terrain.
- It looks good and has a smooth ride even over rough terrains.
- Changing the gears can be hard for kids under the age of 11.
- The pedals cannot tank the force exerted by adults.
- It is strictly for kids.
It has a lightweight aluminum alloy frame with 24’-29’’ diameter wheels based on your choice. It looks sturdy and short. Its knobbly tires give a greater grip to the bike while riding in challenging conditions. It is a good choice for heavy people because of its strong alloy pedals.
- It has 24’’-29’’ wheels with a knobbly tire grip for greater grip
- Its old-style linear-pull brakes give comfortable and controlled braking of the bike.
- It has 21 gear speeds that enable easy riding on various inclinations and mountain terrains.
- It is equipped with a quick-release mechanism for easy adjustment of the seat.
- This bike comes in various colors and sizes.
- It is easy to assemble and takes around 20 minutes to completely assemble.
- It has twister shifts for gear and has a fast delivery.
- Good customer service with short notice times.
- The 29” wheels for tall and hefty persons to have a better and smooth ride.
- The frame of the bike is small, and the bike is suited for short people.
- The gears are tight to provide accurate gear changing.
- If you opt for 29’’ wheels, your legs will touch the wheels if you are riding slowly because of the small frame.
It is from the flat or rider inclination series meaning that the handle and the seat are at the same level. It looks tall, lean, and stylish. It comes with fixed 26’’ wheels and two frame lengths of 18’’ and 20’’ to make it comfortable for tall people.
- The gears are made of Shimano technology.
- It comes with 21 speeds like all its other competitors that best suits mountain applications.
- The frame is made of lightweight alloy to reduce the weight and increase the frame’s strength.
- It has linear-pull fashioned brakes that provide good and smooth control over the braking effort.
- It has a front suspension fork and comes with varying frame lengths.
- It is made of aerospace-grade aluminum and is lightweight.
- It is easy to assemble like its predecessors and comes 80% assembled.
- The gear shifting is easy and simple, unlike its competitors.
- The service and response times from the company are professional and very quick.
- You can customize the bike frame based on your height.
- The handlebar tend to come apart under prolonged usage.
- The pedals are not made of strong alloys and may break if ridden by a hefty user.
- Poor quality on parts.
We have an inclined bike with an average frame length and height. It has a vivid color display all over the frame, making it the most stylish and attractive bike on the list. It is an eye-catcher with a 26’’ wheel diameter and vivid paints.
- Unlike all the previous bikes on the list, this bike comes with dual disc brakes.
- It comes in three sizes based on user height and to be more friendly to the riders
- It incorporates the Shimano technology for its disc brakes for effective braking.
- It comes with 24 speeds with three more speeds compared to most other mountain bike competitors.
- It comes 85% assembled with all the tools and accessories.
- It is a good bike for heavy loads and daily commutes
- The gears are very smooth and easy to shift.
- The delivery and the service aftermath are good and quick.
- It gives a comfortable and smooth ride.
- The chain may drop during gear changing and high-speed cycling
- The pedals were not made of alloy aluminum, so they tend to bend under heavy load
- The instruction manual may not come in English.
Coming to the stylish bikes, we have another stylish bike on our list. It has a tri-spoke 26’’ wheels to make it look modern and stylish. The frame is made of carbon fiber material to get extreme strengths. Updating to the carbon fiber from its latest model, it was launched in 2020.
- It comes with the standard 21 speeds that are well suited for mountain and rugged terrain
- The gears are not twist changed, but they are finger pull changed, making the change easy.
- The frame is 17’’ and is made from carbon fiber for medium to high height people.
- The wheels are 26’’ with three-spoke to enhance the bike’s stability with the shock absorbers.
- It comes 85% assembled with all the necessary parts and tools provided to complete the assembly.
- It is built to handle bodybuilders and hefty persons with ease
- All the parts that were built were of good quality and resilience.
- The gears are easy to shit thanks to the non-twist gear change mechanism.
- The delivery is fast and on time.
- The seat can be a little uncomfortable to the riders.
- Customer service may not be very professional.
- The pedals are again not made of strong alloys, making them susceptible to damage.
It has a decent inclination with a comfortable seat for its rider. It also has a 26’’ three-spoke wheel that looks stylish and modern. It has a stylish design. It comes with a new feature named anti-slip braking for the rear brake, similar to the ABS in motor vehicles.
- It comes with a 24’’ frame that allows tall people to ride comfortably.
- The 26’’ 3 spoke frame improves the bike’s stability when in combination with the front suspension.
- It comes with 21 speeds with the twister shift mechanism.
- It has a double-disc brake for powerful braking with an anti-slip break for the rear wheel.
- Its wheels are made of alloyed steel, and the frame is made of carbon.
- The anti-slip braking system gives the bike an edge over other competitors.
- It comes 85% assembled, which is the standard for all-mountain bikes.
- It gives you value for your money.
- The frame, rims, and overall setting of the bike are good and gives a smooth ride.
- The seat is not very comfortable for long rides and daily users.
- The gears work freely in one direction but don’t turn in the other direction.
- The gear shifters may not function properly and have a sluggish response during usage.
The stylish section of the list continues with this 17’’ frame aluminum bike. This is suitable for short people because of the low frame length. It comes with 26’’ wheels with six or three spokes. It has a good inclination.
- It comes with 26’’ tires with three or six spokes
- The gearbox is made using the infamous Shimano technology making the gears precise and smooth
- It comes with front and rear disc brakes that add power to your braking.
- It has the regular mountain bikes 21 speeds that are very common to its competitors
- It has an eye-catching stickering and great ambiance
- It has a stylish look and can tank heavy loads.
- A DIY lego set comes free with the purchase of the bike.
- It has good control over gears and brake giving the rider good control over all conditions
- It comes 85% assembled like all its competitors.
- It makes into the list of best mountain bikes under 400$ because of the control it can offer to its rider
- The bike needs a good amount of adjustment and professional tuning before you can hop on and ride.
- The seat may not be comfortable, which is typical of sports bikes
- The bike is not a good fit for tall people.
The bike looks solid and can be customized. It has a decent inclination that is typical of mountain bikes. It comes with aluminum alloy frames for strength. It looks medium in size and can be a good fit for medium-height people.
- It comes with 27 speeds with three derailleurs in the front and 9 in the rear.
- It is lightweight, the lightest on the list, with a weight of 37.5 lbs
- Both brakes are disc brakes for increased braking power and capacity.
- The tires can be customized from 26’’ to 29’’.
- The smart tire threading is making them anti-skidding and anti-explosion.
- It has 27 speeds, the highest on the list.
- The shifter is finger-type, and it makes gear shifting easy.
- It has an adjustable front fork that can be adjusted.
- It is equipped with front and rear lights.
- It comes 95% percent assembled, making it the best mountain bike under 400$
- The installation can be tricky and time-consuming despite receiving the bike 95% assembled
- The handlebar comes upside down for ease of packaging and should be reassembled.
- The bike’s pedals are not strong and cannot bear heavy loads.
It looks short and is made for kids with is low seat enabled by the frame bed towards the seat. It is made for women who are passionate about cycling. With its mint green color, it looks like a kid’s adventure bike.
- It comes with a fair amount of customization with wheel options and frame options.
- It has 24 speeds, with three in the front and eight at the rear.
- The gears are finger-shift type making it easy to change the gears.
- It has dual disc brakes for superior braking power and control.
- It has a lockout suspension system.
- It suits and fits women of all ages well because its frame bend towards the seat.
- The seat is comfortable, unlike its many mountain bike counterparts.
- It provides a smooth ride for regular and moderate use
- The pedals and all the other components were made with strong alloys
- It looks classy as opposed to the stylish bikes and suits women better than men.
- The bike doesn’t come with a kickstand.
- The instruction manual is confusing and not clear for unfamiliar people.
- The assembly is not easy, and the markings on the parts may not be clear to all groups of people.
The bike looks stunning in the matte black color but might fall short in the length section but looks tall enough for almost all heights of men. It looks stylish with a simple inclined frame design, and the inclination of the rider looks steep.
- It comes with the standard and fixed 26’’ wheels like many of its competitors.
- It comes with a mixed braking system, with the front wheel being the disc and the rear being the linear braking system.
- The number of speeds is the lowest on the list with just 18 speeds.
- The gear changing is of the twist change type, and gears are made using the Shimano technology.
- It is lightweight with an average weight of 39 lbs.
- The dual braking system gives both power and control to the braking
- The instruction manual is easy to follow, and the assembly will not take more than 30 mins.
- It looks stylish and attractive.
- It is lightweight and portable.
- It has a good suspension system.
- It is not made for heavy people and heavy applications
- It has fewer speeds compared to all its other competitors.
- It needs professional adjustments after the initial assembly.
Buying Guide for Best Mountain Bike under 400
Our list of the best mountain bike under 400$ might leave you pondering which bike to choose that best suits your purpose and requirement. We present you with some important and interesting factors that you might consider before making the buying decision.
- Price: The list of best mountain bikes under 400$ has the upper limit on the price of 400$, but the price of the bikes range from 179.99$ to 369.99$ with the first model being the lowest price and the women’s design being the highest in price. You should always consider the chance of receiving a default product, even though the chance is very low for the bikes mentioned on the list. You should purchase a bike that is well under your budget and doesn’t hurt your pocket.
- Speeds: The speeds in mountain bikes determine the level of control you can have during dangerous and speed maneuvers. If you plan to purchase a bike for mountain adventures extensively, you should go with the bikes that have 24 or 27 speeds according to your previous bike and your current interest.
- Braking System: The braking system is essential in mountain riding because steep valleys and curves are common in mountain ranges. If you want controlled braking on your bike, you can go for linear braking, old and conventional. The new disc brakes provide you with power braking and less control over the stopping distance and braking force. The anti-skid braking is a brand new technology that you can get your hands on if you want to boast about having the latest tech bike in the locality.
- Women Oriented: There are a few women-oriented bikes on our list of best mountain bikes under 400$. If you want an adventure bike for yourself or your daughter, you can choose one of the few women bikes available on the list. The bike serial numbers 1, 4, 5,8, and 9 are women’s bikes that suit the style and needs of the woman.
- The frame length: The average statistic says that a frame length of 16’’ is good for people up to a height of 5’1’’. The frame length of 20’’ is good for a height of 5’11. You have to choose the frame length depending upon the rider’s height. We have bikes that offer a wide range of frame lengths from 16’’ to 24’’. You should find your perfect pair in this range.
- The wheel diameter: Having an average wheel diameter of 24-26’’ is best suited for mountain riding and other sports activities. If you were to opt for the 29’’ wheel diameter, the wheels might be too large, and they might be interfering with your legs when riding at low speeds. So choose the wheel diameter range according to your requirement.