Want to buy a mountain bike that’s in your budget? Well, here is a detailed guide and review of the best mountain bikes under $500 that you can invest in.
Cycling is one of the best recreational activities that keeps you healthy and is also fun to perform. Cycling can be done on two types of tracks: the cemented and leveled one and the “off-road” unleveled one. If you plan to ride the bike through rocky and rugged trails, then mountain bikes are perfect.
They are perfect because they have a stronger body with proper tires that can sustain the rugged trails compared to regular bikes. They also have higher ground clearance so that logs and rocks do not cause any blockage.
Mountain bike components
The five components that set the best mountain bikes under $500 apart from others are:
- Frame – Steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber are used to form the frame. They all are strong and durable, which is important for a mountain bike.
- Gear – Mountain bikes have gears that are appropriate for riding on steep and rocky terrains. They do not have too much speed because rocky trails and knobby tires don’t allow that.
- Wheels – To handle the rocky or sandy trails, mountain bikes have wide tires with knots and ridges. This provides a better grip on off-road tracks.
- Handlebars – Mountain bikes’ handlebars are straight and shoulder-wide. This width helps you to have a better grip while also keeping an upright sitting position for better control.
- Pedals – There are flat, clipless, and toe clip pedals. Based on the rider’s comfort and expertise, they can choose their pedals.
Mountain bike types:
There are three broad categories of mountain bikes:
- Hardtail - These mountain bikes have front fork suspension and are also affordable. This type of mountain bike is better than the entry-level complete suspension bikes. Hardtail bikes are lighter and have a strong frame, making them quite a good choice for cross-country rides and races.
- Rigid - This type of mountain bike is not the best choice for riding on rocky trails. It does not have any suspension on both ends. It will not be a comfortable riding experience. This is a good choice for pavement tracks.
- Full suspension - These bikes have suspension in the rear and front. The suspensions make it comfortable to ride but are also heavier. They are also in the pricier range, so beginners usually gain some experience before purchasing a full suspension bike.
Further classification of mountain bikes:
- Trail bikes – Among all mountain bikes, trail bikes are very popular because they are comfortable to ride. They have suspensions and are also not very heavy.
- Downhill bikes – These are heavier and have full suspension. The tires are quite big and have ridges. The suspension is at its maximum level.
- Fat bikes – Fat bikes are versatile because they can be ridden anywhere, in sand, snow, rocky trails, etc. The very big tires help with the maximum amount of grip.
- Endure or all-mountain bikes- These bikes are suspension bikes and are used more for uphill trails than downhill ones. It’s heavier than trails and cross-country bikes.
- Cross-country bike – These bikes are a mix of hardtail and full-suspension bikes. They are best for speedy performance and trails that require climbing. It is lightweight but can be quite expensive.
Here are the ten best mountain bikes under $500 that you can choose from.
Mongoose is a trusted brand that has been in bike manufacturing for the past 40 years. This Dolomite fat tire bike is best for off-road muddy and rugged trails.
A fully programmable functions and an automatic shut-off feature, you can easily brew coffee 2-ways. You can enjoy a one-cup quick coffee or a 12-cup full pot of coffee. The travel mug is not included with the coffee maker. It will brew coffee directly into the carafe or your mug. You can brew a cup using ground coffee. It also allows you to select the strength of your coffee. It also comes with a warming plate to keep your brewed coffee warm.
- Frame – Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike has a steel frame that makes rides through off-road trails really easy and comfortable.
- Wheels – The wheels are four inches wide and are highly knobby. These supersized tires increase the grip of the bike and make it easier to maneuver it.
- Weight – Since it has a steel frame, it can be a bit on the heavier side, but this weight makes it a sturdy bike. The bike also has alloy rims which are strong but also lightweight. So, these alloy rims keep the weight in check.
- Gear- This model has a rear derailleur that gives seven different speeds, making hill climbing easier, and for a smooth gear change, twist shifters are also added.
- Easy to assemble
- Good breaks
- Stylish frame and tyre
- Heavy bike
- The seat can be a bit uncomfortable
This product makes bike rides fun and comfortable. It is ideal for riders with a height measurement of 5’6″- 6″. The pedals and brakes of this best mountain bike under $500 are also the best quality to ensure safety.
Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike is designed in such a way that it makes rides through different terrains very easy and enjoyable. It comes with all the necessary features and is suitable for all crowds.
- Frame – The bike comes in both steel and aluminum bodies. The change in material leads to a change in the bike’s weight. The steel frame is heavier than aluminum frames.
- Gear- This bike comes with a rear derailleur and twist shifters that enable swift and smooth gear changes while riding. It also has an alloy crankset that is less maintenance and keeps the bike steady during gearing.
- Wheels – The wheel size is 24 inches and is wide with knobs and ridges. The tires are set on alloy frames that make them light and stable during maneuvers.
- Adjustment feature – The seat can be adjusted based on the rider’s height. The quick-release mechanism used to adjust the seat is easy to maneuver.
- Easy to assemble
- not too heavy
- Good customer service
- Handlebars are a bit low
- Not very comfortable seat
Schwinn’s front suspension mountain bike model is perfect for both off-road and neighborhood rides. The suspension makes it comfortable and also durable towards the harsh trails.
Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike is a full-suspension bike that is perfect for you if you are new to mountain biking. This bike model is perfect for bike rides as a hobby and exercise purposes.
- Dual suspension – This bike has rear and front suspension. The full suspension makes bike rides less tiring as the suspension absorbs the shocks immediately; therefore, this model is in high demand.
- Frame – It has an aluminum body that is as strong as steel but is lighter. The frame is suitable for a rider that is 5’6” and taller.
- Wheels – The 29-inch wheels may seem too large, but they are perfect for off-road terrains. However, it is not the best choice for very hardcore and rough trails.
- Gears- The bike comes with 21 speeds and has a rear derailleur. The twist shifters make changing gears and speed very smooth, which is a delight for every biker.
- Good value for money
- Great brakes that ensure safety
- Not much ground clearance
- Does not have a water holder
Among full suspension mountain bikes, Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike is the best mountain bike under $500. It is perfect for normal mountain biking and is also low maintenance.
Want to unwind from a week’s work with fresh air, then mountain biking is just the hobby you are looking for, and when it comes to mountain bikes, Schwinn Bonafide Men’s Mountain Bike is one of the favorite products among other riders.
- Frame – The Schwinn Bonafide Men’s Mountain Bike has an aluminum frame. The aluminum material makes the bike lightweight, and you also will not have to worry about rusting.
- Gear- The Shimano rear and front derailleurs and Shimano EZ Fire shifters present in the bike are enough to ensure a smooth ride. There are 24 speeds, and the gear shifts are also very swift and smooth.
- Brakes- The front suspensions absorb the shocks, and the mechanical discs provide safety with an accurate breaking mechanism on any trail.
- Wheels – The wheels are 29 inches high and 2.25 inches wide. They are supported by durable alloy rims and are also knobby to ensure a firm grip.
- 5-year warranty
- Worth the price
- Great quality brakes, shifters, and derailleurs
- Hard and uncomfortable seat
- Brakes squeak sometimes
Its feature of being a lightweight bike yet is sturdy enough to absorb all the shocks to ensure that the rider is comfortable is reason enough to purchase it.
Outroad Anti- Slip Mountain Bike is a fat tire bike with great features that makes it a very good sports bike. The anti-slip feature combined with knobby tires increases the bike’s safety level.
- Fat tires – The tires are knobby and supersized. They are designed to prevent any slips and have a strong grip, so this bike is comfortable to ride through city, muddy, snowy, or dirt tracks.
- Frame – Outroad Mountain Bike has a carbon steel frame making it sturdy in its quality. It also has a good shock-absorbing mechanism. These two things make it durable with good performance.
- Wheels – The wheels, including the tires, are 29 inches. The inner rims are 26 inches.
- Other features – This best mountain bike under $500 weighs less than 440 pounds and is perfect for riders with a height of 5.5 – 6.2 feet. This model has 21 speeds. It is suitable for both genders.
- Easy to assemble
- 24-hour customer service
- Comfortable seat
- Good front suspension
- Cheap quality pedals
This bike is designed with every necessary feature that will ensure the safety and comfort of the riders. Purchase this bike, and without any worry, you can enjoy your time on the nature trails.
Looking for a mountain bike that is safe and suitable for both the young and older generation? Sirdar S-700 S-800 26/29 inch Mountain Bike might just be the answer. It has an aluminum body with 27 speeds, just the combination to enjoy the rush while riding a fast bike.
- Tires – The wheels are 29 inches and 2.125 inches wide. The tires’ width ensures maximum contact with the ground, making it easier to navigate and maneuver through different trails. No matter how rough the track is, the ride will be smooth.
- Powerful brakes – The bike has a double-disc braking mechanism that increases the braking force and increases its safety. It also has adjustable suspensions that are effective in absorbing the shocks on off-road terrains.
- Frame – The aluminum alloy frame is rustproof and much lighter than the steel body. It weighs 37.47 pounds and can be easily carried around.
- Comfortable and smooth performance
- Has rear and front lights
- The tires are anti-explosion
- Exposed brake cable
- Not the easiest assembly
Apart from the above features, it also has 27 speeds that are swiftly changed with front and rear derailleurs and finger-type shifters. Sirdar S-700 S-800 Mountain Bike also provides an assembly video and great customer service. That is what makes this one of the best mountain bikes under $500.
Thinking about going mountain biking with your loved ones but are confused about which bike to purchase? Solve this problem by purchasing SIRDAR S-900 27 Speed 27.5 inch Mountain Bike because it has all the needed features at an affordable price.
- Frame – The body of this bike is made out of aluminum alloy, and the parts such as the chain and handlebar are made of carbon steel. The body can withstand harsh weather and tracks.
- Performance – This bike has 1.95 inches wide tires with a wheel size of 27.5 inches. It also has a full suspension that absorbs the shocks of rocky trails.
- 27-speed derailleur – The rear and front derailleur deliver 27 speeds with smooth shifting because of the finger type shifter.
- Other features – The brakes are very powerful and are also protected from dust accumulation. The bike comes with two saddles: a wide soft one and a standard one.
- Rear and front lights
- Anti-explosive tires
- Two replaceable saddles
- Light quality is not great
- Brake and derailleur may require adjustments
The SIRDAR S-900 27 Speed Mountain Bike comes 95 percent assembled, which reduces your efforts, and in case you have any inquiries, their customer service is ready with their professional advice. That is what makes this one of the best mountain bikes under $500.
Wake up to the aroma of freshly brewed coffee with this automatic coffee maker. This is a 12-cup model that will grind and brew coffee for the freshest and rich experience. Easy to use and comes in a streamlined design and a graceful carafe. It is a great addition to every kitchen.
- Frame – The bike’s body is aluminum. The material makes it ultra-light, but there is no compromise in the quality of the performance.
- Frame sizes – There are two frame sizes available. The first one is 18 inches fit for a rider of 5.7-6 feet tall, and the second one is 19.5 inches, suitable for a 6- 6.6 feet tall person.
- Wheels and brakes – The wheels are 27.5 inches, and the brake mechanism is also very powerful. This bike has a double hydraulic disc for its brakes.
- Suspension – The bike has lock-out suspensions that are very good when biking through off-road trails or forest ways. It is even good for riding through highways.
- It comes with its own assembly tools
- Nice-looking sturdy bike
- Brake handles are cheap quality
- The seat is stiff and uncomfortable
Hiland 27.5 Inch Mountain Bike is a very sturdy bike with 27 speeds that changes very smoothly. Half the bike comes pre-assembled, making it hassle-free for you. That is what makes this one of the best mountain bikes under $500.
This Mongoose bike model is suitable for anyone, from adults to kids. Buying such a bike that anyone can ride makes it affordable and is probably designed most efficiently so that everyone feels comfortable and safe.
- Wheel – The wheels are 24 inches in size and 4 inches wide. This wheel size provides more ground contact and makes rides through different terrains safe. The frame of the wheel is made of steel, making the ride stable.
- Tires – The tires are fat and knobby. These two characteristics are very important for better friction and maneuvering. This makes it even ideal for riding through snowy and sandy trails.
- Brakes and derailleur – The bike has mechanical disc brakes that provide quick stopping, even in slippery tracks, and the rear derailleur with seven speeds perfectly adapts to any kind of trail.
- Other features – This bike is perfect for riders that are eight years old and above. Height-wise, the rider should be 4’8” to 5’6” tall.
- Brakes may need some adjustment
- Seat not comfortable
The Mongoose Argus and Argus ST is a fit for quite a range of riders and comes in different colors. That is what makes this one of the best mountain bikes under $500.
This beautiful black/white colored bike is perfect if you are looking for a stunt bike or a bike to adjust to any terrain. This best mountain bike under $500 has great control and is easy to maneuver.
- Quality frame – The frame is made of carbon steel, and Max4out uses amazing welding technology that makes it sturdier.
- Tires – The tires are knobby, wide, and are 26’’ in size. It sits perfectly on alloy wheels and has fashionable rims. The gears work smoothly with speed changes, and the 21 speeds are best for riding through hilly terrains.
- Brakes- It has rear and front double disc brakes that are provided to increase the bike’s safety level and increase the maneuver and controlling power of the bikers.
- Other features – Anyone with different heights and ages can ride this bike. This stunt bike is also suitable for riding through wastelands, cities, beaches, or other off-road trails
- Good and sturdy frame
- Worth the money
- Easy assembly
- Quite heavy-weighted
- Little uncomfortable seats
- Not the best quality bike parts
The package provided by the brand has all the required components. Assemble them and then enjoy a nice biking experience with the Max4out Fat Tire Mountain Bike. That is what makes this one of the best mountain bikes under $500.
To become an expert, you have to start somewhere. Buying anything without proper knowledge is not the wisest decision. This buying guide highlights certain points that should be kept in mind when planning on purchasing the best mountain bike under $500.
- Full-suspension or hardtail?: Both full-suspension and hardtail have their own advantages. Full-suspension bikes are usually expensive, so a higher version of a hardtail with the better specification can be purchased at that same price. In contrast, full-suspension bikes are more advanced, performance and comfort-wise. Thus, its advantages outweigh the disadvantage of higher price rates. Choose the bike that fits your preferences and budget.
- The right size: Some cup coffee makers will allow you to pause mid-brew. So, you can pour yourself a cup before it’s completely brewed. One of the major factors that need to be considered is the size of the bike frame. Don’t go by the terms small, medium, and large. Find the bike that will fit you perfectly and that you feel comfortable riding. Check the height, handlebar width, weight, etc. A proper-sized bike that fits you will make it easier for you to control and maneuver it, which is really important on bike rides through rocky terrains.
- Check suspension quality: People often go for the quantity of suspension over the quality, which can be a rookie mistake. It is always advisable to check the suspension quality in the suspension bikes. Before buying, check customer reviews about the shocks and forks to get a clear idea if the bike has quality suspension. Good suspensions will make the bike riding experience comfortable, and you will enjoy the ride.
- Weight for the bike: The weights of bikes are a very important factor that affects bike performance. But instead of worrying about how heavy a bike is, look for sturdy bikes, and a sturdy bike will be a bit heavy. It is always better to have a strong bike that can withstand the rugged mountain trails rather than a flimsy bike that may require maintenance after every other ride.
- The wheel size: The wheel sizes change based on the trails you will be riding on. Rocky trails and long distances need wider wheels. Specific tires with specific diameters are made for cross-country, downhill, muddy trails, etc. So, choose the wheel size based on the trails that you will be traveling on.
- In your budget: Try to buy the bike in your budget and have some extra cash to buy some accessories that can be needed for a bike ride. A helmet with a nice peak and coverage is a must for safety. Along with this, you may need shoes that fit the pedals or a backpack or glasses. It is also better to keep some cash in reserve if new tires are required, or the bike needs some tuning and maintenance.
As more people can spend more time amongst nature, demands for such products are going up with time. Riding bikes through the beauty of nature calms the mind and makes you feel refreshed. The best place to enjoy nature through bike rides on the best mountain bike under $500 is not through cities but the “off-road” rugged terrains. Buy a nice and sturdy mountain bike that fits you and enjoy riding it, whether it’s for racing or relaxation!